POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game recommendations : Re: Game recommendations Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game recommendations
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Feb 2009 16:14:27
Message: <498ca833$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> - The Longest Journey. Old point-and-click adventure, which is rather good,
> and refreshingly different from the Lucasarts' games.

I played this through. For a point-and-click adventure, it's really quite
lame. I guess if you're more interested in the story and scenery than
playing the game, it can be OK.  But it's more like clicking your way
through a novel than it is playing an "Adventure" style game.  There's no
choices to make, you can't do things out of order, and areas open up and
close off without any real sense to why (like, once you've been to the
museum, you can't go back).

For example, at one point, you wind up in the posh space-port after crawling
thru messiness. There's a clothes store there, and if you try to go in, it
says "I can't afford posh clothes like that."  So you go downstairs, talk to
the ticket agent, who tells you you're too messy to get on the space
shuttle, at which point *then* you can go upstairs and buy clothes. Very
annoying, that. The whole game is like that - you can't pick up the tools
you need before you run into the lock you need to open, etc.

Funny in places, tho. A decent story if it was so drawn out. You spend most
of your time waiting to get thru conversations and such, with "next step"
almost always being obvious.

Better than a lot of the other games in the genre, I'll grant that too.

Myst and Riven (and to a lesser extent the sequels) are the best, obviously.

I would add Thief 1 and 2, Deus Ex, and (so far as I've gone thru it)
Bioshock as games that allow a lot of latitude in how you accomplish your
goals, with lots of replayability.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"